This journey that we're on, in this land... sometimes it seems overwhelming. When Mike & Deb were here, Mike really impressed upon us that building relationships with those around us here is really important. And it is... not just for others, but for us too. When we're on the journey with someone else, it all seems more worthwhile.
In spite of his encouragement, however, it still sometimes seems like a daunting task - crossing language and cultural barriers to get to know people and form real, true friendships. I know I've already talked about this on the blog, but it kind of keeps coming up. In fact, the other night we happened to see another young couple that we know while we were out on a walk. We walked a little ways with them, and it was actually a little bit stressful - I just couldn't think of anything to talk about with them! (I know you're all shocked, but really - it was so hard. Sometimes that's hard enough when you have underlying language and cultural understanding!) Nevertheless, God... He is able to help us through each challenge that we encounter, and He did that for me today... again. This isn't the first time and I know it won't be the last... He has to keep reminding me that He can and He will.
Today, I had the blessing of getting to know not one, but two sisters from church better, and realized that when I told one of them that God has given us a beautiful life here, I meant it. It's not that we don't miss home. We do - some days more than others and often, quite a bit. But where God has us, right here and right now... we are content.
My morning began with a trip to Zamora - accompanied by Courtney and Veronica, a sister from church. We needed to go together because we are going to share a Sam's Club membership (you can do that here), and so we all decided to go this morning. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with her. She is expecting as well, and our babies are due almost exactly the same day, so we have plenty to talk about and share with one another. I expected it to maybe be just a little bit uncomfortable, but it wasn't at all... in fact, I enjoyed it! Furthermore, I successfully drove to and through Zamora and back, all by myself, for the first time, while carrying on a conversation in Spanish - but that is due to the grace of God alone! So all in all it was a wonderful morning - I got a Sam's Club membership, which means access to cheddar cheese, bagels, and plenty of other American specialties, in addition to Mexican driving experience, and above all, wonderful fellowship.
Then this evening, I took a walk with Elsa. It was a beautiful, almost cool evening, even though it's been really hot here during the days, and our conversation flowed really naturally. I am so enjoying getting to know her and pray that we can continue to build a lasting friendship. She's married to Mario, and they would be such a fun couple to do stuff with, and so we pray that God will just keep helping us grow our relationship.
And then I came home and was working on a little questionnaire that Ruth had sent me for some information to share at my and Veronica's baby shower tomorrow morning with the church ladies, and one of the questions was, "What is a verse that most encourages you, as a woman, a spouse, or a mother?". And it made me think of the verses in Genesis 12 that God has brought to us over and over again as we were married, experienced life in the States together, and called to Mexico.
"Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed." (Genesis 12:1-3)
And then when I was looking that verse up, I came across the following and felt that God was lovingly reminding me... again... that He blesses obedience, and that our time here, and our work here, will not be in vain. If we are willing to do His will, and walk alongside the people here, and love and serve and give and learn... if we are willing to sojourn in this land where He has called us, even when the journey seems daunting... He will be with us.
"Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee" (Genesis 26:3)
"o give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. sing unto him […] talk ye of all his wondrous works. glory ye in his holy name. […] seek the Lord, and his strength. […] remember his marvellous works that he hath done [...] he opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river. for he remembered his holy promise, and Abraham his servant. and he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness." Psalm 105
I can sure identify with you on the whole "what in the world do I talk about now?!" point in a conversation. I think when I get to that point I just start pointing at things and saying, "How do you say that in wolof?" I love the people like the girl you mentioned, where conversation just flows!
ReplyDelete- trish