I'm not sure if that's a good title for this post, because I don't want to cause any alarm. Ivory is still hanging in there and doing well and little by little, her lungs are developing... albeit very slowly. And yet 'shipwrecked' very accurately describes how I felt this morning after several ups and downs and just really too many emotions to handle much more.
So you pretty much know how Ivory was doing yesterday... stable, yet still not able to eat or breathe on her own... just a waiting game... and in that sense not much has changed. Grant went back to Ixtlan last night to sleep and got a good, much-needed rest. He came back to the hospital around 9:30 this morning. Before he got there, though, our Ixtlan doctor (Dr. Martin) had been in and told me some really encouraging news. Ivory had been on an IV for feeding, but her foot had started to swell and they had to take that IV out. Because her veins are so small, though, they couldn't get another IV in her anywhere (and they tried lots of different places). But apparently they had fed Ivory several times yesterday afternoon and throughout the night through a tube in her mouth and she hadn't vomited any of it up, which is really good! The doctor was very encouraging and said probably just a couple more days for the oxygen and she'd be good to go.
A couple hours later, though, the pediatrician came. He said that she was getting fed through the tube, and that she hadn't vomited, and that was good. However, the tube in her mouth was also posing some risks. One was that she really wasn't getting enough to eat. The other was that because it's so hard for her to breathe still (she kind of pants), there was a risk of some of what was going into her mouth eventually making it "down the wrong tube" essentially and getting it into her lungs. He was worried about that. So he wanted to make a little cut in her neck and put an IV in there for feeding and medicine. Since it was kind of the only option, we decided that was fine... although all of this news was so hard to hear in wake of Dr. Martin's report earlier in the day.
On a positive note, the pediatrician did do an x-ray of her lungs and said that they are more mature, in comparison to the x-ray he took a few days ago... but that they're just maturing so slowly. And so please, please, please pray hard for her little lungs! They need to grow some more and then I think she'll be doing better all around. And also pray that God will continue to sustain us and help us to keep trusting. It is so easy to start to lose faith and give in to the lies Satan throws at us. And it is so easy to fear what could happen. But Grant reminded me this morning - we have access to the power the Great Physician holds - all we need to do is ask. And so we do ask that you would pray along with us that we could see progress and that Ivory would grow and strengthen.
Going back to the title of this post - it does have significance. This morning when I woke up and opened my Bible, I was pleading with God for something, anything, that I could hang on to and claim as His promise to us. Last night I had woken up in the middle of the night and done the same thing, but nothing had really come and so Satan was right there trying to get me to believe God wasn't listening, didn't have enough power, and wasn't willing to reach down on our behalf. It's so hard to fight those emotions at midnight. But anyway, this morning was a different story. I opened to Acts 27 and the following verses really stood out to me:
"And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship. For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me." (vs. 22 - 25)
Truly, an incredible promise. But I'll admit that I intentionally ignored the verse that came after that:
"Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island." (vs. 26)
I knew that it was just as much a part of that chapter as the verses before it... but I knew that I just couldn't do that... couldn't go there, couldn't think about it. So I ignored it.
After the pediatrician came and then Grant arrived, though, I crashed... quite literally. Lots of tears, lots of emotions, just simply exhausted from all the ups and downs, limited progress, and hoping, wishing, waiting, praying, trusting... and having to do it all over again every single day. So I showed Acts 27 to Grant. And I asked him what he thought the "ship" was in verse 22. Because it says that there there won't be any loss of life, but of the ship. So if this was God speaking to me in metaphor, what was the ship? He said the first thing that came to his mind was the Ship of Faith. That most definitely fit in with what was going on, because in those moments before we talked, I had lost faith. My ship was going down. Looking further in the chapter, I read verses 30 - 32:
"And as the shipmen were about to flee out of the ship, when they had let down the boat into the sea, under colour as though they would have cast anchors out of the foreship, Paul said to the centurion and to the soldiers, Except these abide in the ship, ye cannot be saved. Then the soldiers cut off the ropes of the boat, and let her fall off."
So we talked about the lifeboats. Grant related the lifeboats to trying to use our own rescue system - trying to escape the Ship of Faith, trying to do things on our own, trying to trust in our own tangible resources - doctors, medical technology, etc. But Paul says here that it couldn't be that way. They had to stay on the ship.
And so we, too, have to stay on the ship. We have to keep trusting and maintain our faith. God has spoken and given us promises that He will provide, but when progress is slow, it is harder to believe those promises. As I said before, God also gave me Luke 7 a couple days ago and several reminders since then that what we ask in faith and in His name, He can and will do. Pray that we could be sustained, that He would be glorified and that our faith would be strengthened rather than weakened.
"Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen." (Ephesians 3:20-21)
"o give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. sing unto him […] talk ye of all his wondrous works. glory ye in his holy name. […] seek the Lord, and his strength. […] remember his marvellous works that he hath done [...] he opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river. for he remembered his holy promise, and Abraham his servant. and he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness." Psalm 105
Oh how we care for all three of you! And God cares even more. This is bringing back so many memories of our time in the hospital with Kenan- don't worry, you are not alone in battling all those emotional ups and downs. You are so wise to keep seeking and looking to Jesus to help you reestablish trust in Him and His care of you in this situation- and in all situations. You are so loved. We will keep praying for you and your sweet little baby. love, Dave and Kara and all the rest
ReplyDeleteGod is not surprised by any of this..He will carry you through as He heals and strengthens your sweet little daughter. We pray with you and for you all and send our love. Art and Twyla
ReplyDelete(You have a beautiful way of writing your thoughts and experiences..a testimony of God's faithfulness for all of us to read!)
Keep trusting! The Lord will provide. Praying for you and Ivory.
ReplyDeleteI am always encouraged by your unfailing faith Hannah and Grant. Keep the faith! God's will is perfect! I love you!
ReplyDelete- Seth
We love you! I was contemplating sending you Eph 3:20-21 yesterday and then thought, "Oh, I just sent that a couple weeks ago...she'll think that is the only verse I know!" :) But it is so powerful and so true! So, I'll just send you another favorite, Psalm 121, and pray fervently that He keeps you all in the shelter of His wings! He is able!
ReplyDeletelove, the Schambachs
Grant and Hannah, God is certainly a shelter in the time of storm. I appreciate you sharing with us how Ivory is doing. Remember the last verse of Act 27 "...And so it came to pass, that they excaped all safe to land." He will provide a way. God is all powerful and we trust and pray that he will be near you and comfort you through each uncertainty. With love and prayers, Abe
ReplyDeleteHannah--I can so relate when you said you woke up during the night and was seeking something. I experienced that when I was facing my colon cancer surgery. Then the next morning a nurse came in and opened the Bible to Psalm 103 and read a few verses and left the room and it was
ReplyDeletejust like she was an angel sent by God. So, I am praying hard for all of you and hope you can experience strengths like that. And don't feel bad about emotions--remember "Tears are a language that God understands"
and I had shed some for you and Ivory, too. Love you much - Auntie
Grant and Hannah, God's plan is far greater and He knows how emotionally jarring and the immense helplessness that you both feel in these times of distress. In Psalm 62:8, God says, "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us." We are called to trust in the Lord not because He sometimes feels distant, but because He is present. Keep strong your faith and you three will be in my prayers!
ReplyDeleteLifting both of you and precious Ivory up to the Lord in prayer! He knows each of your needs. Renee S.
ReplyDeleteGrant and Hannah- Just a little note that I'm praying for you and Ivory(: It seems like we realize how strong our captain really is when the voyage of life gets stormy. I know He will provide for you and pray that you can feel His peace, grace, and nearness, trusting that He is at the helm!
ReplyDeleteNumbers 6:24-26
Love you lots- Tess
Grant and Hannah-Sometimes people say the least you can do is pray. Its better said the MOST we can do is pray. I am and will continue praying for both of you and Ivory. -Thane
ReplyDeleteGrant and Hannah, Sometimes the rough seas really shake our faith... In these times we quickly realize that "with men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." His strength is made perfect in our weakness. He alone, has the power to heal Ivory, to comfort your hearts, and to strengthen your minds. "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Keep trusting, not just with your head, but with your hearts. I am praying; we're together when I pray...
ReplyDeleteI love you three!
Sending you hugs, love, and prayers! I've been reminded in studying Esther that even though it may appear that God is absent, He is actually in control of every situation and has a perfect plan laid out for you! May He hold you 3 in His loving arms and give your hearts a gentle peace that will carry you through.
ReplyDeleteWe love you, Blake & Kris
I am always encouraged by your unfailing faith Hannah and Grant. Keep the faith because our captain's plan is perfect!
ReplyDeleteI love you lots!
- Seth
Dear Grant and Hannah,
ReplyDeleteYou are in our prayers! God hears them. This is truly a struggle. Satan can discourage us. Yet he seems to disappear when we sing, when we count our blessings one by one, and when we think of the cross.
Also- "Jesus loves me this I know..." The song was written for adults too. :) We love you. -Philip + Family
We are praying for all of you. I read the verses from Acts 27 that God revealed to you and started crying. When I was getting close to having Kyle, I was losing my faith in God that all was going to be okay. Bryan and I opened to this exact Chapter and it was such an encouragement to us (in fact we quoted it on his birth announcement). Our God is so GREAT and FAITHFUL! We love you all! Bryan and Kara & family
ReplyDeleteHannah and Grant--it is now Friday morning and I pray that the day will go better for you and for sweet Ivory. The verse that helped me so much in Psalm 103 was verse 3 "He healeth all our diseases" and I think that Acts 27 will always be special to you--your pregnancy hit a rock and experienced a wreck (it went from a natural delivery to a C-section for Ivory's safety) and they had to hang on "some on boards and some on broken pieces...they escaped all safe to land." May God keep encouraging you with this verse. Prayers are flowing!! All my Love - Auntie
ReplyDeleteI am praying for you!
ReplyDelete- Love ROSE