Unfortunately, Ivory wasn’t able to come home with us tonight. I did come home with Grant for the first time; I just didn’t feel like I could stay at the hospital another night alone. Having an empty car seat in the back is difficult – especially because we just felt so strongly that it was God’s plan that we would be home today. But he is still good – we cannot forget that. When it became obvious that Ivory wasn’t ready to go home this evening, I lost… a lot. I lost patience, lost hope, lost confidence, lost understanding, and lost maybe even a little bit of faith.
But then Grant was flipping through part of Mark, looking for direction or answers or anything to help the confusion, and the essence of what he was reading was Jesus telling the people – and us – “Why are you not appreciating the miracles I have already done?” And indeed – He has been working in so many amazing ways to bring Ivory to where she is at.
On Saturday, they lowered her oxygen and her breathing became much more regular. The pediatrician came that morning and they started giving her my milk through her tube, and she did really well with that. On Saturday night and Sunday morning we were able to see Ivory come more alive and comfortable, so that has been really special. Grant and Scott came to the hospital once they got back from the airport, and by some miracle the nurse let all three of us in to the nursery to spend some time with Ivory. This was the same nurse who wouldn’t even let me, by myself, in the other night – so I was pretty shocked! God does amazing things. For the first time, we saw her really open her eyes and look around and become more aware, so we took lots of pictures. Uncle Scott must be pretty exciting!
On Sunday morning I went in and the nurse actually took her out of her incubator… I held my little girl for about three hours and listened to a sermon I had downloaded. Last week’s Wednesday evening service in Princeville was on Psalm 6 and Acts 27 (Bro. Ryan Hoerr) – I was so encouraged when I saw that it was Acts 27 and even more encouraged when I listened to it – the Bible is truly God’s Living Word and I have been fed so much this week.
Today her breathing hadn’t improved quite as much as we had hoped, so she’s still on oxygen. However, she no longer has tubes in her nose; just a little globe around her face and some oxygen inside that. But she is taking milk out of a bottle well – it was a little rough this morning but this evening when I fed her she drank everything she needed to. So that was very encouraging.
So slowly, Ivory is growing. And slowly, Mommy and Daddy are growing too; for me personally, learning to walk by faith, to be still and know, and to ponder these things in my heart.
This afternoon, Grant heard an instrumental version of “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” playing from a stereo on the street that is usually playing what he labeled “loud Mexican pop music”, and felt like that really is what this week has been about. We are learning to walk closer to Christ and to listen for God’s voice.
Thanks for your continued prayers for Ivory – we know she will be home soon!
Here are a few pictures from the last couple days... we think she's pretty special!
Pictures from Saturday night - first time with lots of interaction!
Uncle Scott arrived
Little toes...
We think she kind of looks happy in this picture. :)
Big eyes!
With Mommy and Daddy
First feeding through her tube Sunday morning
Listening to church services with Mommy
Fast asleep... which, of course, is pretty typical
Waking up...
Wide awake and ready to eat!
Now, she doesn't have the feeding tube or the oxygen taped to her face, so she looks a little different. We are so thankful for all of the little moments and especially for your continued prayers. We love you!
Thankful for the special times you've had with her, and to hear that God keeps faithfully holding you up. We'll keep praying!
ReplyDeletelove the Kochs
I was so wishing that you could bring Ivory home, but was glad that you got to hold her and interact with her! I am praying with you, as just thinking about something going wrong with Leah is so scary, even if we haven't met her yet. May the Lord bring you through this trial with his abundant grace and strength!
ReplyDeleteThankful for each improvement! Continuing in prayer and watching in the same with thanksgiving (Col 4:2)!! We love you!
ReplyDeleteJust to let you know that for some reason the photos do not appear in the post....we will look forward to seeing them. I'm sure they are precious.
Love and prayers, Sarah
So thankful for how God continues to hold you up and you continue to ask, seek and knock.... little Ivory is so beautiful and such a testimony to her wonderful Creator and His wonderful design. We can't wait until you can be buckling her into her car seat and taking her home with you. We are praying for that to be very soon!love from all of us, Kara
ReplyDelete