I'm kicking myself that I didn't think to take my camera along to the places we went last week, but we've enjoyed some neat fellowship with families in church and I am finally starting to feel like I can be a normal person here. Of course, this will change tomorrow, and then flip back the next day... but it was a good week. On Monday evening we went to Gabriel & Adriana's house. Grant was measuring for a kitchen table he is going to make them, and we also spent time just talking together. On Wednesday afternoon, Lalo & Silvia invited us over for lunch - which was delicious. They served us their best - we felt very spoiled. And as always, we enjoyed spending time with their family. Silvia helps me with Ivory a lot and she is getting to know her really well (bad pronoun usage, but it goes both ways.) On Friday night we headed over to Javier & Veronica's because Grant is also doing a project for them, and we ended up staying and just chatting with them for much too long - it got dark and it's a bumpy road back to Ixtlan from their house. But we enjoyed it so, so much.
I did take just a couple pictures this weekend. Ivory has many "babysitters" and the kids do great at interacting with her.
So we are enjoying increased fellowship with believers here, for which we are so thankful. However, we still have a great need for contact, connection, and friendship with those back home. There are times when it's hard to think about what we're missing while being here during this stage of life. We aren't around for the initial establishment of friendships and potlucks with other couples in our age group. I don't have a baby room support group here, and have few opportunities to get together with other moms. After next Sunday, I will have missed the weddings of three cousins so far this year - cousins that I love very much and feel close to. And that's not counting the many childhood and college friends that got married over the summer. I don't say this to elicit sympathy, but rather to explain to you that having friends here doesn't take the place of you - you who understand my language, my culture, my life. Feeling remembered helps my attitude and makes me more effective here - seriously. So please, please, please - stay in touch. E-mail us (special thanks to Grandma Leman and Auntie who do a great job of this). Comment on the blog. We don't get much feedback on our posts, but I know there are many of you reading, and it would mean so much. Even if I don't know you! Introduce yourself. I will not think it's silly that you're reading our blog. I've read a few blogs of people I don't know as well :). Send us letters. We love getting mail. I got a "just thinking of you" card from a friend the other day (thanks, K!) and I can't tell you how much it meant to me.
I ask this of you because something I have learned about myself is that I have very high interpersonal needs. I need to be connected. I share us with you on the blog and I need you to share you back. Grant has less interpersonal needs, as evidenced by the following story: After we got done at Javier & Veronica's, and were back home, and going through our bedtime routine and such, I was pretty wide awake. Grant looked at me with half-shut eyes and was like, "Why do you have so much energy?" Kind of jumping up and down to prove a point, I said "Social interaction!!!" He responded by slumping his shoulders and closing his eyes even further... "Social interaction." It wears him out. It energizes me. But we do both need it. From people here. And from you. Thanks for being willing. :)
I did take just a couple pictures this weekend. Ivory has many "babysitters" and the kids do great at interacting with her.
So we are enjoying increased fellowship with believers here, for which we are so thankful. However, we still have a great need for contact, connection, and friendship with those back home. There are times when it's hard to think about what we're missing while being here during this stage of life. We aren't around for the initial establishment of friendships and potlucks with other couples in our age group. I don't have a baby room support group here, and have few opportunities to get together with other moms. After next Sunday, I will have missed the weddings of three cousins so far this year - cousins that I love very much and feel close to. And that's not counting the many childhood and college friends that got married over the summer. I don't say this to elicit sympathy, but rather to explain to you that having friends here doesn't take the place of you - you who understand my language, my culture, my life. Feeling remembered helps my attitude and makes me more effective here - seriously. So please, please, please - stay in touch. E-mail us (special thanks to Grandma Leman and Auntie who do a great job of this). Comment on the blog. We don't get much feedback on our posts, but I know there are many of you reading, and it would mean so much. Even if I don't know you! Introduce yourself. I will not think it's silly that you're reading our blog. I've read a few blogs of people I don't know as well :). Send us letters. We love getting mail. I got a "just thinking of you" card from a friend the other day (thanks, K!) and I can't tell you how much it meant to me.
I ask this of you because something I have learned about myself is that I have very high interpersonal needs. I need to be connected. I share us with you on the blog and I need you to share you back. Grant has less interpersonal needs, as evidenced by the following story: After we got done at Javier & Veronica's, and were back home, and going through our bedtime routine and such, I was pretty wide awake. Grant looked at me with half-shut eyes and was like, "Why do you have so much energy?" Kind of jumping up and down to prove a point, I said "Social interaction!!!" He responded by slumping his shoulders and closing his eyes even further... "Social interaction." It wears him out. It energizes me. But we do both need it. From people here. And from you. Thanks for being willing. :)
I'm jealous of Ivory's babysitters :) Just realized today that it's exactly 6 weeks from today that we will see you guys! Love you!
ReplyDeleteI will just post for now until I track down your email address and send you a note:)
ReplyDeleteThanks for your post I would love you email you about it but only have your hannah waibel email address. what is you email now?
ReplyDeletethanks for reading, ellie! :) its grant and hannah 11 (except with no spaces) at gmail.com.
DeleteI love your posts, Hannah, and love your stories. I like Grant's too:) I'll email you.
ReplyDeleteMary
I enjoy reading your posts. Praying for you often. Luann
ReplyDelete