Monday, April 21, 2014

ecclesiastes 3 by grant

To everything there is a season, and a time for every animal under heaven to enter into our house:
A time for lizards, and a time for scorpions;
A time for rats and a time to pluck up rats;
A time to beat rats with shovels, and a time to keep beating the rat with a shovel.

A time to weep, and a time to scream;
A time to mourn, and a time to dance on one's tippy toes while screaming;
A time to cast a dead rat to the stones, and a time to gather stones together to pile on top of the rat:
A time to embrace in victory and a time to refrain from embracing to let the adrenaline die down.
A time to rend one's clothes in anxiety, and a time to stop doing that.

A time to keep silence, and a time to let the whole world know there's a rat in the house.
A time to love the victor, and a time to hate the loser and it's guts for coming in the back door.
A time of all-out war, and a time of peace afterwards.


A note from Hannah: You know how sometimes, authors take certain liberties in their writing to emphasize a point, or to paint a more vivid picture of the scene? I would just like to make sure everyone knows that Grant was using what is known as "metaphor" here. For example, when he says "dance on one's tippy toes while screaming", this is not a literal description of what was going on. However, to his credit, we all felt that way. Long story short, I'm thankful the rat is dead, so that I can sleep in peace.

5 comments:

  1. Even if Grant was using metaphors, I was still laughing my head off as I envisioned this scene!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek!!! I think my line would have been something like "time to stand on a chair while screaming!" And to think the girls in my choir this morning were freaking out over a huge bug (substitute small spider in there) that they saw go behind a cabinet....they thought maybe it was even a mouse! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha this is hilarious :) Glad the rat is dead though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The few dead rats I saw were enough for me. Bleh! Glad nobody got hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness--I do not like rats either and I am certainly glad that it is dead and I hope there is not another one in your house. Where was little Ivory during all of this? Love - Auntie

    ReplyDelete