Tuesday, August 28, 2012

we're doing good

We are approaching our  two month anniversary of being down here in Mexico, which makes me (Grant) stop and just think about life a little bit. Actually, I'm just kind of in a pensive mood and it happens to be about eight weeks that we've been here. If I had to pick one word to describe the last few months, I'd have to go with the typical male choice and say that it's been "good". It hasn't been easy, predictable, flawless, or painless. But, it has been good, educational, growing, and humbling.

It's interesting how Satan will do anything he can to inhibit the work down here. Exactly one week ago, I was heading out of town in the gray Astro towards the town of El Limon to pick up a few people for the Tuesday night Bible study. I could show you the exact place where this happened, but all of the sudden I realized something. I'm happy. I'm content down here. I actually am enjoying being here in Ixtlan. It was a great realization to make and I was excited to really give my all to build up the Kingdom of God. However, Satan waited only until after the Bible study. That evening and the next several days had to be the most unmotivated days I've had in a long time. I didn't feel like doing anything at all. But God is faithful and triumphs over Satan every time, and after a few days, I felt His motivation take over my life.

That experience probably summarizes a lot of what we are learning down here. My personal motivation wasn't good enough. Satan was able to take it away. But then, God filled in the empty space with His motivation. Satan is attacking at all different sides, but the things he robs from us, God replaces with His added blessing.

We both came down here feeling like things, for the most part, were under control. We both had lived in Mexico before, studied Spanish, were aware of the responsibilities we would have down here, had a pretty good idea of what everyday life would be like, and felt peaceful about it all. It didn't take too long to be very aware that we are just a couple of 22-year-old kids. We've probably learned more about being grown-ups now than we ever have before. But, as I said before, it's been good. We are growing. We are learning. And we are feeling Satan rob us of who we thought we were, and God replacing that with who He wants us to be.

So, if anybody asks.... we're doing good.

1 comment:

  1. So true! Sometimes things go so wonderfully and then again, other times they... don't. At one time when I was in a dip in the road, God brought my attention to Isaiah 59:19: "When the enemy shall come in like a flood, the Spirit of the Lord shall lift a standard against Him." It's so affirmative. Satan WILL come in like a flood! But then again, the Spirit of the Lord WILL lift a standard against him. When we have faith...

    God bless you and I'm praying for you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete