Sunday, August 12, 2012

the Potter & the clay

It's Sunday morning and the kitchen is quiet again after breakfast at 9. Everyone is getting ready for church; we have a full house this weekend! Stuart Kilgus from Remington has been here visiting for the last week and a half or so and will be here for about a week more. Regg and Bev have been living here since Thursday as they begin their trip home tomorrow morning, and Regg's brother Jeff and his friend John arrived last night with a van load of our stuff (!), which we unpacked and then re-packed the van again with Regg and Bev's things to move them home. We're very excited to have a few more of our things here; Grant was especially excited about his tools and I'm so thankful for the things people sent for my classroom and for the various household items and clothes that came. And, besides all that, it has been a blessing to have people around. We've enjoyed it very much.

Anyway, I'm in a little bit of a pensive mood, considering that the past week has had its fair share of ups and downs. We're approaching a month and a half of living here, and... hmmm. I don't really know where to start. I'm learning a lot. About myself; about others... and SO much about trusting the Lord. I can honestly say that nearly every day has been a test of my faith. I don't say that in any way to make it sound like I've passed each test, because I haven't. But every day has been a test.

I had written up until this point on Sunday morning. And then we left for church. The morning service could not have been more timely, and I felt God's loving yet shaping hand molding my heart and mind more towards His desires, will, and instruction. We read in several different places, with Jeremiah 18 being the passage that stood out to me the most.

"The word which came to Jeremiah from the Lord, saying, Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words. Then I went down to the potter's house, and, behold, he wrought a work on the wheels. And the vessel that he made of clay was marred in the hand of the potter: so he made it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it. Then the word of the Lord came to me, saying, O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the Lord. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel." (Jeremiah 18:1-6)

Marshall told a story about a potter. In his work, all resistance and all the bad pieces had to be removed, otherwise they affected the whole vessel. Sometimes, the potter had to start completely over. But after all this molding and shaping, there is hope... there is help... there is Christ.

"I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:1-3)

"Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
      Thou art the Potter, I am the clay.
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
     While I am waiting, yielded and still.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
     Search me and try me, Master, today!
Whiter than snow, Lord, wash me just now,
     As in Thy presence humbly I bow.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
     Wounded and weary, help me, I pray!
Power, all power, surely is Thine!
     Touch me and heal me, Savior divine.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
     Hold o’er my being absolute sway!
Fill with Thy Spirit ’till all shall see
     Christ only, always, living in me."

(Have Thine Own Way, Lord by Adelaide A. Pollard)

1 comment:

  1. Grant and Hannah,

    It sounds like you're doing well and God is providing even when times are difficult. May you always be clay in the Potter's hands.

    Love and prayers,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete