Sunday, October 12, 2014

we render the calves

If you are wondering what the title of this blog post means, we're in the same pen. I (Grant) have decided to blog about calves tonight. "We render the calves" is a biblical phrase straight out of Hosea, pulled completely out of context and made the title of this post because it uses the word "calves".

Calf topic number 1:
Definition of calf (from thefreedictionary.com): the young of the domestic cow or other bovine animal.

During the last week of September and the first week of October we had the privilege (italics representing sarcasm) of experiencing yet another go-around of the annual Ixtlan fiesta. It was wonderful. I'm sure we have blogged about it in past years. It's somewhat of an Ixtlan homecoming where everybody who has lived in Ixtlan in the past comes back with their friends for 10 days of parties, drinking, dancing, and carnival rides. The town fills up to the max as buses of people from Mexico City and Guadalajara arrive. The public schools shut down and empty their classrooms so the guests can "camp out" on the floor. We choose not to leave the house at night during this time, but can still enjoy the music coming from the plaza well into the night and morning hours.

Oh yes, I'm supposed to be discussing calves. Well, with the masses arriving, food sellers make a fortune. Our neighbor would cook up a calf most days during the fiesta in a large pot over a fire out on the street and then sell the meat. One day, one of the soon-to-be-unfortunate calves was tied up in front of their house and mooed all day. Ivory spent the day inside going "mmmmmmm". Not sure if she was mimicking the calf or anticipating the forthcoming beef.

Another aspect of the fiesta that we really enjoy (if I could italicize these words enough to accurately portray the sarcasm, they would be laying completely sideways) is the morning band and fireworks. Every morning during this 10-day fiesta, there is a group who walks around town from 6:00 to 7:00 in the morning with a mariachi band and fire crackers. Seriously. I just absolutely love it when a tuba player blows into my daughter's window at 6:00 in the morning. It really starts the day out right, especially when they light a firecracker off right afterwards.

I decided to investigate the reason of this unique activity. I asked three people. I got three answers. Sigh... the story of my life.

Reason number 1: It is a tradition. 
      I have seen a despair.com poster on that topic. I shall comment no more.

Reason number 2: They do it to show they are happy.
      I can think of other ways to express that emotion. You could take a picture of yourself smiling at 6:00 in the morning and put it on Facebook instead. Just an idea...

Reason number 3: They walk around to the people who have donated money to fund the fiesta and play them their favorite mariachi song.
     I can't think of a better way to demotivate potential donors.

That all being said, I want to add that I do love and esteem the Mexican people. During the rest of year, Ixtlan is a very respectable place.

Calf topic number 2:
Definition of calf (from medicinenet.com): The belly or fleshy hind part of the back of the leg below the knee. The calf is made up mainly of the gastrocnemius muscle. Pain in the calf is commonly caused by muscle strain, but can be caused by blood clots in veins of the legs.

I am currently trying to determine if I am having blood clotting in my gastrocnemius muscle, or if I am merely suffering from playing 2 hours of intense soccer Friday night.

Matt and I took some of the junior high Sunday school boys to the park to play soccer. A few other people joined us and we really had a great time, although I almost died since I am so out of shape. Then we went to the plaza to get some snacks. I sure enjoyed it, and I think the boys did too. Hopefully we can build some good relationships and friendships.

Calf topic number 3:
Definition of calf (from merriam-webster.com): an awkward or silly youth

I had no clue that this was a definition of calf. The next time I get that one look from Hannah, I'm going to moo.

1 comment:

  1. between the two of you, i think you could seriously make your living writing! :) loving your posts!! love and prayers and missing you all- Bluniers

    ReplyDelete