Wednesday, January 8, 2014

adjusting

Adjusting back to life here after several weeks in the U.S. is always a little challenging, and the challenges differ from trip to trip. There are always emotional and mental adjustments, and this time Ivory also adds her own dynamic. You wouldn't think a 10-month-old would need much adjusting, but she does - perhaps more than any of us. After several weeks of constant attention by grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, a day at home with mom can be pretty boring. And when it's hard for her to entertain herself, it's hard for me to get anything done, and it kind of spirals downwards. I've found myself greeting each day with a prayer for patience, gentleness, flexibility, and grace - towards her, and also towards those around me. Trying to fit back in, find our places again - it can be a tough transition, and its easy to take it out on others.

There are some wonderful things that a break brings, however. Roberto bounced in the door this afternoon with all of his homework written down, neat math notes, and motivation to do it all. I have a renewed appreciation for the gorgeous Ixtlan weather. And it has truly been good to come back and reconnect with our friends here. 

Ivory learned to say "hi" while we were at home and says it to everything and everybody, although rarely on command. Now we're working on "hola". She also says "What's that?" with a great emphasis on the "wh" so it comes out kind of like "Wwwwwwhhhhhhasat?" Other times she just sits there and goes "wwwwhhhhh..." kind of whisper-y like. I had my camera handy this afternoon so I did get a video of "hi" when she was in a particularly compliant mood.


I'm still working on the rest of the posts from our trip home, but I did post one below. 

3 comments:

  1. So maybe she was saying "Whatsat?" when we were down looking at the bunk bed?? Cute video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, I totally think she was - which is why I ended up saying "bunkbed" so loud, which I am STILL feeling bad about. Were they at all surprised?!

      Delete
  2. Hannah, yes they were completely surprised! Alan's Dad about "spilled the beans" too, so no worries! You'll have to check out the pics I posted.

    ReplyDelete