So that's the speed limit about all day, and that's where we're at tonight. Actually, we're in a hotel in Temple, which is just past Waco. We were on the road almost exactly 11 hours today and didn't stop for longer than 15 minutes ever, so it was a big day. Ivory did well, but was ready to get out, not unlike the rest of us. We took 69 South a lot of the way, which is a state highway through Oklahoma, and that was really interesting. We were going through a lot of small towns and "Indian Territory" (the Choctaw nation) I would say for lack of a better term (I do feel like I'm on the Oregon Trail sometimes, although I'm pretty sure we have way more stuff. And we're moving way faster. And we will probably see our families again). There were lots of antique stores (I'm pretty sure I could spend an entire vacation just on that road) but there was also a lot of 'mixed advertising' - billboards for casinos right next to 'want help with your addiction?' type billboards. Kind of sad.
We did sing (parts of) 'Oklahoma' and 'The Farmer and the Cowmen Should be Friends', but other than that we pretty much took care of Ivory and drove (you can guess who did what). At one point, Grant was like "I just love having Ivory along, it's just so much like a family vacation and it's just so fun". To which I replied... "Great! Your turn!"
We can feel your prayers! Please pray hard for tomorrow... we plan to cross the border around 3 p.m. if all goes well. Further into Mexico we will also run into customs and vehicle registration checkpoints, so pray also that things could go smoothly there. And also, pray that Grant's parents could have a safe taxi ride back into the U.S. to the Laredo airport and that God would protect us both as we go our separate ways.
"o give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. sing unto him […] talk ye of all his wondrous works. glory ye in his holy name. […] seek the Lord, and his strength. […] remember his marvellous works that he hath done [...] he opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river. for he remembered his holy promise, and Abraham his servant. and he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness." Psalm 105
No comments:
Post a Comment