Tuesday, July 10, 2012

zamora

Yesterday, we took a trip to Zamora to explore and figure out where things are located. Zamora is to Ixtlan as Peoria is to Princeville or as Champaign is to Mahomet, in terms of both size and distance, just for a little comparison. There are many things that I will typically buy in Ixtlan - fresh produce, tortillas, milk, and the like, but there are also things that I will need from Zamora regularly. There are two large grocery stores in Zamora, both operated by the Wal-Mart company, essentially. One is actually called Wal-Mart, the other is a Bodega Aurrera (which I also used a lot when I was in Taxco). We had been to the Bodega Aurrera and a few other places last week with Marshall, but this time we were on our own. We went to Wal-Mart, the market (which is a lot bigger than the one in Ixtlan), and the fabric store.

We went to the market first. It was crowded and big. Later we discovered that Grant had accidentally had his passport in his back pocket the entire time we were wandering through crowds of people... not necessarily a good feeling, but thankful he still had it when he discovered that! :) In the market, I found my "find of the day". I had been needing some storage and organization options, and of course I wanted something with a little more character than plastic bins. So I wasn't really looking... but all of a sudden I realized that all the fruit in the market comes in wooden crates - which are really cool, and can be used for all types of things. So I got up the courage to ask one of the ladies if they sell them. And she responded very enthusastically - "Yes - 5 pesos". Five pesos? Fifty cents? I did not hesitate before telling her I'd take two. So my truly wonderful husband and I traipsed back through the market, each with a crate. (We actually later returned to the market for four more, after doing some more shopping. I really do have a very patient husband). But anyway, here are my crates - and I'm only $3 poorer. The pallets were a freebie that I picked up when we were doing an errand with Marshall, long story but there are also a lot of really cool things on Pinterest that you can do with pallets. So I have my projects cut out for me!


After the market the first time, we went to the fabric store. Its significantly cheaper to buy fabric here - the patterned ones here were 30 pesos (roughly $3) for a meter section that was 1.5 meters wide (my experience with yards just became completely useless). The blue I made into a shower curtain last night (our shower only had the plastic curtain and the green is going to be new curtains for our living area. The ivory is lining for those crates that I got. :)

After the whole market and fabric store episode (which by the way, we never got lost, so that was exciting), we headed across town to Wal-Mart.
Does this look familiar? One big difference, though, among others - see that guy right there by that car? His "job" is to "help" you park your car and safely back out - for a tip, of course. Whether or not you take advantage of this "service" isn't necessarily optional.

Looks like I won't be buying pesto anytime soon! That's actually 73 pesos, so around $7 (not $73) but still. I think I should probably learn to make my own. At least I don't need pesto. Chocolate chips are another story. Those are nearly the equivalent of $5 for smaller package than you'd typically find in the states. I did buy one package, but I will definitely be conserving them. Jan says she brings her's down from the states. 

On our way home, we stopped at a little roadside stand to get Grant a hat. Doesn't he look really Mexican?

While I was taking pictures of him, he told me I should be taking pictures of the back. In order to truly look Mexican, we'd need to have a few more things back there. :)

On the way home we stopped at a roadside restaurant (which Grant had been to before, don't worry) which was delicious. They basically give you a roasted chicken (although we ordered half) and tortillas and different salsas and you make your own enchilada type things. It was amazing!

When we got home, I made a shower curtain with that blue fabric. In this picture, the pattern on it is kind of hard to see. I think this is the first project I've ever made that was the right size. (I had Grant help me measure to make sure). I was excited about how it turned out!

Adios!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah,
    We love the shower curtain - definitely adds your homey touch! Good thing you went to all the effort to haul your sewing machine through the airport. We also LOVE the COOL crates. You'll have them filled up in NO time!
    GRANT LOOKS HANDSOME IN IS HAT :)
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LOVE MOM AND ADDIE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom and Addie! I thought you might like the crates. :) I am very happy my sewing machine is here, I think I will use it a LOT. I think Grant looks handsome too. ;) love ya lots! G&H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good! It makes me want to sew something :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Hannah,

    Your curtain is beautiful! I altered a massive curtain for one of the ER rooms the other day! And mine turned out, too. :) It's just so nice to have things turn out nice in a country where the environment around the nice thing isn't necessarily nice.

    You sound up-beat and peaceful, anyways. Hope week 2 is going well - that's when my homesickness hit for about 4 days. God is good, though. I love it here in Haiti, and it's obvious to me that God has given you a love for Mexico, too!

    Blessings!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shower curtain is an inspiration--quite lovely! You cannot begin to imagine how long I would have been content with just the plastic curtain...but I'm learning from you. You are such a blessing to our family.
    Love, Mom H.

    ReplyDelete