Sunday, May 13, 2012

commencement

com·mence·ment/kəˈmensmənt/

Noun:
  1. A beginning or start: "at the commencement of training".
  2. A ceremony in which degrees or diplomas are conferred on graduating students.

Graduation was on Friday evening! I graduated from Illinois State University with a Bachelor's Degree in Spanish Teacher Education. Once I receive my teaching certificate, I'll be certified to teach Spanish, English, and English to speakers of other languages. It was so special to celebrate with Laura, who graduated with a degree in Biology Education. We had supper at Olive Garden and then headed to campus for some pictures and the commencement ceremony. The two definitions of 'commencement' seem to perfectly summarize this week's events... we're celebrating the end, and yet entering the beginning. We're finished... and yet we have so much left to do! I'm so thankful that Jesus is leading us all the way!

A few pictures from the evening...
Supper at Olive Garden

Laura and I with Grandpa and Grandma Zehr

Graduates!

The family

Laura and I with Grandpa and Grandma Waibel

Laura and I with Auntie

My amazing husband who has supported me in so many ways as I've finished school

There were a lot of people in Redbird Arena! The ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences is one of the biggest.

After the ceremony, with our diploma covers. At some point during the ceremony, Grant was explaining to Addie that we only got our diploma covers as we walked up on stage. Addie commented, "So you mean they have to all go up again?" (It was getting rather long. :)

Cousins

They wanted their picture taken too, with their "diplomas" :)

Thanks, Dad and Mom. I wish I knew how to say it better.

Congratulations to everyone else who is graduating from high school, community college, or a university this May - I know many of you and wish you God's richest blessings as you begin your next stage in life. 

In closing, I'm reminded of ISU's motto - "Gladly we learn and teach". I pray that this could be my pursuit as I journey out into real life... that teaching and learning would never end!

1 comment: