Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! I think the holidays have taken on a new meaning this year, because each day we come closer to leaving for Mexico. We want to take every chance we have to spend time with those that mean the most to us, because these moments won't last forever. I spent the day with Janelle and Grey yesterday and we were talking a little bit about this. B & J lived in Arizona for the first year that they were married, but they had no idea how long they'd be there. They didn't come home for everything because that just wasn't a sustainable plan. We, however, have the advantage of knowing (about) how much longer we are going to be here. So no matter how many miles we put on our little Civic in the next month (Grant told me a few weeks ago that I was already averaging 3 days to a fill-up), we plan to keep I-74 and Rt. 24 in business!
All of that said, we actually have no idea how much longer we are going to be on this Earth, either. Are we making the most of every moment we have to live for Jesus? I've been challenged this past semester, since it is my last semester on campus, to not be afraid to speak out for my faith and to let my light shine. To be honest, I'm sure its more comfortable for me to do so right now as opposed to in the past, because I have a lot less to lose - I will likely never see many of my classmates again. But that should be even more of a motivation for me to share Christ with them in the short amount of time that I do have left with them.
I'm currently reading a devotional called 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young. Aunt Joni gave it to me when they were here a few months ago and stayed with us for Grandma Kieser's funeral, and I have enjoyed the change of pace from my regular 'Streams'. The last few days' entries have been about thankfulness, and this morning's struck me as particularly profound:
"As you sit quietly in My Presence, let Me fill your heart and mind with thankfulness. This is the most direct way to achieve a thankful stance. If your mind needs a focal point, gaze at My Love poured out for you on the cross. Remember that nothing in heaven or on earth can separate you from that Love. This remembrance builds a foundation of gratitude in you, a foundation that circumstances cannot shake." (p. 342)
No matter our circumstances in the coming year, I pray that we can be thankful! Thankfulness is not for just one day of the year, but for all the time. We have been given so much to be thankful for in the past year. Our house project has been going so well and we have felt so much love and support from those around us. We have been blessed with a wonderful relationship and some very special friendships that have encouraged us in our walk with the Lord and towards Mexico. But even more than that, we have been blessed with a relationship with Jesus Christ. To Him be all glory and thanks!
"o give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. sing unto him […] talk ye of all his wondrous works. glory ye in his holy name. […] seek the Lord, and his strength. […] remember his marvellous works that he hath done [...] he opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river. for he remembered his holy promise, and Abraham his servant. and he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness." Psalm 105
No comments:
Post a Comment