Friday, April 3, 2015

looking unto Jesus

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory; While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal. 
II Corinthians 4:17-18

I've been thinking about this verse often lately; realizing that the interpersonal relationship challenges that I'm facing right now really are just a light affliction. When viewed with an eternal perspective, they have almost no importance... except to draw me closer to my heavenly Father... working for me "a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory". And then I read this verse this morning:

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Hebrews 12:2

How could my focus be more eternal but to look to Christ? He is the beginning and the end of my salvation, the author and the finisher. He endured crosses, and one cross in particular, far heavier than mine and He did it because He had an eternal perspective - He was looking at "the joy that was set before him", not the immediate problems or the clearly visible pain. He was focused on what He could not see.

That is how I want to be.

Fixing Ivory a snack in the kitchen this morning, I heard the sound of low, eerie singing. I looked out the door to the street at the bottom of the hill and saw a procession. As a way of commemorating Good Friday, a Catholic group was re-enacting the walk to Calvary. It struck me hard how realistic it was... in the sense that on the day that Jesus died for the sins of the world, there were plenty of people going about their daily lives, just like I was today. The entire course of history and humanity was changing, and probably a lot of them didn't even notice.

Do I notice? And more importantly, do I live like I've noticed? Or am I still too focused on the here and now to fully realize what He's done and what is required of me in return? In order to truly see Christ's work, I have to get beyond the mundane and beyond myself. I have to stop what I'm doing and go kneel at the Cross, thanking Him for what He's done, and begging Him for grace to do the same for others... looking at His example and His timeline.

I can't wait for Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this! Always good to be reminded to keep my eyes on the eternal. Have a wonderful Ressurection Sunday :) love, Jo

    ReplyDelete