Tuesday, April 28, 2015

books, bikes, & baking

Adrienne came back! Just for a week this time, but it's been delightful to have her. She has been so patient - with our kids and with us as we start to pack and transition. Here's her excerpt on life from this week:

When I first came to Ixtlan a year ago for a ten week stay, I did not expect to spend countless hours and develop a strong friendship with the Herrmanns.  And when I was Skyping Grant and Hannah about ten weeks ago I did not expect to be buying plane tickets by the end of our conversation.  But alas, life is full of surprises so here I am, nearing the end of a week visit to Ixtlan.

As I type, Ivory is asking me to read her books so why not start there.  We've spent a lot of time on the couch reading nursery rhymes and Richard Scary.  It's been a great way to reconnect with Ivory who was my little friend last year.


On Friday and Saturday Hannah set up a garage sale and that was definitely a cultural experience. It was fun to see Hannah in her element, bartering and interacting with the Mexicans.  We found out early on that curtains are in high demand.  We also found out that once you start selling some things, people want you to sell everything from the front pack to the dining room lamp they spy from the road.  I made some cookies to sell Friday because in the past the school children have really enjoyed sugar cookies.  Turns out they weren't a hot item but they've been slowly disappearing :)


In all I'd say the garage sale was a success.  It was a win-win for Hannah and the Mexicans; she got rid of what she didn't need and they got it at an affordable price.

Sunday morning Hannah put Grant and I in charge of getting a picture of two squirmy kids before church.  Between the two of us (and some help from candy) we managed to get them both looking somewhat in the same direction.

Hey, it's better than this...

After church there was a farewell potluck for the Herrmanns that involved lots of delicious food, of course.

On Monday Hannah and I took the kids all the way across town to the Centro de Salud to see if they could help Ivory with some issues she was having and get a shot for Titus before they returned to the US.  Turns out they weren't able to do either but it felt good anyway to get out and get some fresh air. It felt so good in fact that Hannah and I took a bike ride later on.  I'm not sure how Titus managed to fall asleep on the bumpy country roads but he slept most of the ride, his head bobbing from side to side.



 It was beautiful and very refreshing.  We got back just in time to go to the park with the Gerbers.  So, once again we walked across town.  The kids slept great that night!


Most evenings we've been playing Settlers and eating tacos.  Life is good :)  Zach's been coming over too to play Settlers or hang out with the kids .  Today Ivory wasn't too willing to give him a hug goodbye but at least they got a picture together the other night.


To Grant's delight, we're leaving early in the morning for Morelia to catch the clothing markets before they drop me off at the airport.  In case you didn't catch the sarcasm, Grant really isn't excited and would probably appreciate a few prayers.

Overall it's been a great week.  I'm so thankful for Grant and Hannah's friendship and their example of following God's direction.  It'll be good to have them a little closer here in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. hmmm. . .I spy lithium batteries in your future. :-)

    ReplyDelete