Hello all. This is Grant blogging. I've been staying plenty busy to say the least since we arrived back after Christmas, but I usually prefer it that way and have been enjoying the new projects and challenges. But, since a lot has been going on, I figured I should write a blog post while I'm in the mood (these moods are rare). As I've said before, I love the fact that I married a girl who loves to write. She can have it.
Probably the best "new thing" in my life is a young man named Carlos. He began to come to church while we were in the States for the holidays and expressed a desire to learn more about the Bible. When we returned, Marshall asked me to work through the "discipleship" with him, which is a list of topics and verses that help guide someone to a better understanding of the Bible and the gospel message. We started meeting once a week and so far, it has been going incredibly. He came with a pretty good foundation in the New Testament, which helps a lot. He also just seems to have a knack for putting things together and really being able to understand the message, along with a desire for the truth. I'm excited to see how God is working in his life.
On a less exciting note, but a on a I'm-super-glad-this-is-over note, I got my two left wisdom teeth pulled out last week. Those who were with me over Christmas might remember that I had an infection in my gum that was giving me trouble. I was determined to push through it until I got back to Mexico and could get medical care for Mexican prices, but that didn't work. The day after Christmas, I went to the doctor and got an antibiotic to take care of the infection. That cost me about $160, but it got me back down here, where I was able to get both left teeth pulled for about $43. I keep telling people they should save their dental money, buy plane tickets, and get their dental work done while they visit us! Recovery is going well - I've still got a little discomfort, but I'm just about back to normal.
As far as the house project goes...we're still working on that. Actually we're still working on trying to buy it. The problem is not with the seller (we've settled on a price and actually signed the papers), but just with the paper work involved. I could write a book on everything I've been learning.
My best summary (and this is my observations and opinions, so it may or may not be correct) is that Mexico is changing... for the better. Things are getting more organized and I think legal work in the future will be much easier and more efficient than in the past, but not everybody is on the same page at this point in time.
I think this can be best described by the way we finally obtained a house number for this property. Because a religious association is buying the property, we have to register it with the Director of Religious Associations in Mexico City. The information we needed to send in asked for a house number, so Marshall put #16 on the form. Here's why: when he moved here, the post office gave him #2, but he found out later that there is another #2 on his street... oh well, he's the only man named Marshall in town anyway. Our house will be right next to his house, and then on the other side of our house is house #7... and directly across the street is #15. Two lots down the other direction from Marshall's house is the school, which Marshall decided to make #24. Confused yet? I was.
So I took the form to our lawyer in Zamora to look it over before I sent it to Mexico City. She asked where the #16 had come from, because the old deed had said #52. I told her that Marshall had just randomly chosen the number. She looked at me cross eyed.
So...I high tailed it back to Ixtlan and went to the Presidencia to figure out how I was supposed to get a legitimate number. They told me they needed the deed to get me a number. I told them I needed the number to get the deed....hmmm. Well, they decided they could use the old deed to get me a number and I should come back Monday (today). So I headed back early this afternoon and received our legitimate, government -given, official number. It was #80.
So come visit us next fall at 5 de Mayo No. 80!!
We're also looking forward to a busy visitor season starting tomorrow with Adam, Brittany, and Kylie!
"o give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. sing unto him […] talk ye of all his wondrous works. glory ye in his holy name. […] seek the Lord, and his strength. […] remember his marvellous works that he hath done [...] he opened the rock, and the waters gushed out; they ran in the dry places like a river. for he remembered his holy promise, and Abraham his servant. and he brought forth his people with joy, and his chosen with gladness." Psalm 105
No.80 gave us a good laugh - Dad's math brain can't process numbers that don't follow good mathematical logic, so he is still trying to come up with a formula to get to 80!
ReplyDeletelove dad and mom w.