Friday, January 11, 2013

a trip around town

Friday - what a wonderful day! Today I had a much-needed respite from the classroom (re-adjusting back into the school schedule has been rough for everyone) and was able to work on cleaning, laundry, organization, and a little bit of getting-ready-for-baby stuff. It was good to be at home for a day!

I had a long list of errands around Ixtlan this morning and decided to take my camera with me to give you a little taste of where I do my shopping (besides Wal-Mart in Zamora). They aren't the greatest pictures because I was trying to be a little bit inconspicuous, but here they are.

First, I went to the tortilleria to buy tortillas for lunch. I actually can usually just buy them packaged at one of the other stores I frequently go to, but today I wanted the small, corn tortillas and they make those fresh. You can see the machine behind the lady who is selling the tortillas. As a side note, this road is usually paved, but it was in rough shape and they're re-doing it so right now its just red dirt. 

A view of the cathedral passing through the plaza - I didn't stop there - :) -but snapped a picture anyway, because I don't think we've ever posted pictures of the town.

They have a little nativity scene set up, which is neat except baby Jesus is depicted with angel wings instead of in a manger. 

The market - that fruit stand on the left is the one I go to most often.

Socorro's store, where I buy milk.

Bertha's store (she's a lady from church) where I get flour, sugar, eggs, and sometimes tortillas. Rudy & Rosario are visiting right now and that's Nathan playing with trucks in the front of the store. 

So there's your mini shopping tour of Ixtlan. There's also a couple of other places right here in town that we go to frequently - Mary's store, a few blocks away, carries a larger selection of items if I need just a couple things and don't have a trip to Zamora planned, and there's a store in the plaza where I buy paper goods. Lots of familiar faces when I'm out shopping!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh i love this post, so interesting. Some of the places remind me of here!

    ReplyDelete