As we prepare to come home, though, I'm painfully aware that I'm finding myself more and more wrapped up in our schedule, plans, and gifts than in reflecting on the birth of Christ. I've spent plenty of time placing online orders, watching sales, tracking packages (Christmas shopping has been a little different this year), but have I spent that much time in the Word, seeking to know Him more and praising God for the eternal gift He gave us that Christmas? I'm writing this maybe more as a reminder for myself that Christmas is about Christ! Why do I have to re-learn this lesson every year? When I'm anticipating togetherness, am I also anticipating togetherness with Christ, someday, eternally? Am I living each day intentionally to reach that goal? Am I planning my service to the Lord as carefully as I'm organizing our Christmas lists? Because all of those things will go beyond our three weeks at home. It is God's grace that will bring us back to Mexico in January and help us to keep going here, even when its hard, or we're lonely, or we miss home. Even when we don't have togetherness with others... we have togetherness with Him. Investing in that togetherness with Him is a decision we must make - and choosing wisely makes an eternal difference.
Missing our family and friends is a daily challenge, especially right now when home seems so close and tangible. And yet we are so very blessed with opportunities for 'togetherness' and fellowship with believers here. Ruth took a few pictures the other night at Jovenes as we were working on pinatas, and looking back through them I was reminded of that. Because of our role, especially on Saturday nights, it is more tiring, it does take more effort, and it is sometimes more stressful to be together than to be by ourselves. But it is a blessing. And these children need a sense of 'together' too. Here are a few pictures:
Cutting strips of paper to glue on... these guys were having a little bit of trouble focusing but once we got them working on it they did great! :)
So colorful!
Working hard... or hardly working.
A few more views of the pinatas
"Matt's pinata" - it was a donkey (I think?) but now its a hippo because it just turned out more that way.
I read your blog all the time...I just don't comment :) could you somehow get me your parents address? I didn't know how I was going to get your card to you but you answered my question for me! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing what all you guys do and how you are doing! It is a nice way to stay in touch! I hope all is going well for you guys! Have a good week!
ReplyDeleteMichelle